Ruby language support/ Conversion tool not working.

Discuss syntax highlighting or submit new syntax files.
gf_gollum

Ruby language support/ Conversion tool not working.

Post by gf_gollum »

I've just discovered this edito and it looks excellent. I hoped to add Ruby syntax to the editor, using the described tool and the Ultraedit wordfiles - but after downloading and running - I got now output from Wolfgang's tool. Have the Ultraedit word files changed since the tool was built? Would I have to create a Ruby syntax file by hand instead :(
Thx
Graham
H.Seldon

Post by H.Seldon »

The latest version of UltraEdit uses a separate wordfile for each language. These have an extension of UEW. These have converted fine for me so far. Earlier versions of UE use a single wordfile for all languages. With this you should copy only the portion applicable to Ruby and save it as a separate document (extension doesn't matter, I use TXT). If you do not already have it , here is a link to UE wordfiles:

ftp://ftp.ultraedit.com/wf

I have found that after conversion, there are usually a few corrections to make (color, comment handling, etc.). But for the most part, the tool does a good job of conversion and saves a lot of typing.
H.Seldon

Post by H.Seldon »

From your description it's not clear how you are using the conversion tool. I run the syntax editor from the Tools menu. Then, from the File menu, I select Import/UltraEdit Wordfiles... After I save the converted SYX file, I activate it from the Environment/Add-ons dialog. I don't remember if I had to restart TextEd before activating. Also, when you activate, don't forget to add the file extension. Then you can modify colors, style, etc. from the Environment/Options.../Highlighters dialog. You can also start the Syntax Editor from this dialog, if you need to make additional changes. If you already know all this, I appologize for the long explanation. Maybe someone else knows an easier way to do all this. I'm a recent user like yourself.
gf_gollum

Post by gf_gollum »

Ah.. I was doing it wrong obviously. Reading the webpages I discovered a link to a command line tool whichh I ran on the UEW Ultraedit files. It was supposed to write the converted file back into the source directory - but appeared to do exactly nothing on the UEW files.

I hadn't looked at the GUI tool. When I do run it I get what appear to be lots of errors/undefined when reading in the raw uew file - so I assume I'm doing it wrong - or the format has changed or something.

Graham
gf_gollum

Post by gf_gollum »

OK - My problem was that I was using file open - not file import. I know have a first cut on teh syntax - but its going to take a lot of edting (load of "unhandled" line errors, no code folding etc.
Guess I'm going to have to learn more about editor setup etc firt.

Certainly looks a cool editor though!
G.
itinerant

Converter not working as expected

Post by itinerant »

I have also tried using the converter as described in this thread, but it seemed like nothing converted correctly.

Does anyone have a Ruby syntax file they would be willing to share?

Thanks,
itinerant