Change the embedded icon

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
Padua

Change the embedded icon

Post by Padua »

Hello,

Thanks for making a good text editor available. 👍

When I set RJ TextED as the default program to open .txt files on Windows, the icon showing up on all txt files is the attached icon - which is embedded in the .exe
RJTextED.jpg
RJTextED.jpg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Can this be changed? Just a preference, rather than such a large icon - a smaller / softer coloured Windows 'notepad' like icon, but different would be nicer. Could have the RJ lettering added to it to clear identification of brand..
For example..
NotePad transparent cover.png
NotePad transparent cover.png (36.18 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
Posting this request here rather than using Resource Hacker or other 'outside' tools..
Thanks for considering.
pjj

Re: Change the embedded icon

Post by pjj »

You can choose between 8 predefined icons, just open Options and search for "icon": the first entry is Program > Application icon, you can set your preferred one there.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Padua

Post by Padua »

Thanks for the pointer.

But, even after I change the icon in the options, the old icon still shows up, for the main .exe and for the .txt files as well - since I had set up RJ TextEd as the default program to open txt files.. The icon does not change from the default icon even after restarting the app, and changing the default .txt program to Notepad and back to RJ TextEd.
1_1.png
1_1.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
1.png
1.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
pjj

Post by pjj »

My bad :oops: but the number of available options is truly staggering here! The place I suggested is for the application itself; you can change icons for associated files in Options > Editor > File > Associate files.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Padua

Post by Padua »

Thanks for the pointer - this worked to change the icon shown with each associated file type. 👍
pjj wrote: 09 Oct 2023 14:52 ..the number of available options is truly staggering here!..
Good to see many customization options. The ability to customize in detail, is one of the key factors that sets apart better quality software.

A request, for when possible - Please add the ability to change, from the Options screen, the icon for the .exe and for associated files to one of the users' own choosing- any ico / png file etc. (Did see the 'Icons' folder in the 'Data' folder and could just replace the icon there, but a settings based UI may be more 'friendly' to most users)

Thank you for considering and thanks again for a very good text editor..