DONE: Refresh search results when files change

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

DONE: Refresh search results when files change

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

I have two log files loaded into RJTe.

I am looking for a string in either of the logs, a search for a specific string shows them in the bottom panel.

The logs are a result of a run of my application and they will be refreshed with new contents when the application is run. When RJTe receives focus RJTe correctly asks whether it should update the modified files. That's good.

However, the search window below still shows the search results from the last search in the old files before the refresh and by implication it seems to state that the searched-for strings are still present in the new file.

It might be sensible to clear down the search results or possibly to instruct the same search to initiate. Possibly put a "File contents changed, rerun-Search?" somewhere, in a modal popup or as a prompt on the search output section.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 27 Mar 2023 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: RJTe REQUEST: Refresh search results when files change

Post by Rickard Johansson »

If we update the search results when a file has been changed by an external program - it would be strange, I think, if we didn't update the search result when we edit a file in the editor as well. Which we really can't do...

I've added a new menu item in the search result context menu to refresh. It will simply re-run the search using the last used search options. (Done in version 15.83)
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: RJTe REQUEST: Refresh search results when files change

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

Understood. I was using RJTe as a sort of advanced TAIL command. When the file changes I was hoping that the program's newfound knowledge that the file's contents had changed might kick off a search automatically. However, I do get your point that seems a little too much considering the file's contents could change continuously...

So, in this case an option of a refresh is a good one.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/