[Kind of SOLVED] Re: Brace matching seemingly not working

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
inspector71

[Kind of SOLVED] Re: Brace matching seemingly not working

Post by inspector71 »

Hi

Thanks so very much for all the hard work.

Unfortunately Brace matching does not appear to be working for me in a CSS context (at least)

Checked Change History, there was a bug fixed in 14.70:
* Rare brace matching issue that may occur with certain theme options.
... running a more recent version than that, 14.73 (I will not upgrade replace a working app for now).

Used the in-app search for "brace" and was directed to options that already appear to have been toggled on (brilliant, absolutely brilliant how the search help tells you that in context of the search results, although this may not be coimprehensive yet?).

Checked those that seemed relelvant, but did not display their status in the helpful search results:

The theme was not too good in this respect as it had a white background which is useless on a white theme background.

Alas, no change:

Maybe it is just me but that appears to be suggesting brace highlighting / matching is not working?
Last edited by inspector71 on 26 Nov 2021 04:08, edited 2 times in total.
pjj

Re: Brace matching seemingly not working

Post by pjj »

It works for me, but it means nothing to you since we're on different versions. (Perhaps you could check it out on the newest portable version, if you prefer no to upgrade right now?)

How about MatchingBraceAction? Does it work for you? You know, Search > MatchingBracket?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
inspector71

[SOLVED] Re: Brace matching seemingly not working

Post by inspector71 »

Thanks pjj

I just 'installed' the latest portable version available for download, then the program prompted an update so installed that.

Alas, the default RJ-TE is *very* different from my regular version. Rather than setting everything up again, is there a settings export / import option? I looked around but did not see one.

Maybe an .ini ? Probably done this in the past, but memory is shot.

UPDATE:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\RJ TextEd\TextEd.ini
got a lot of the settings across, but

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\RJ TextEd\Data\ftp_profiles.ini
has not been recognised, it seems.

Nevermind. I guess I do not need FTP to test brace matching and other users would crack it with me if I draw any focus on to FTP again.

UPDATE2:

OK, just realised copying TextEd.ini across may have been perpetuating the problem. Going to naked portable v 15.23 ...

OK, something is working now. Not the foreground pink but the background at least/

Thanks for your help pjj
Last edited by inspector71 on 17 Nov 2021 00:17, edited 1 time in total.
pjj

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Brace matching seemingly not working

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote: 16 Nov 2021 03:30 Thanks for your help pjj
No need to embarrass me, really, I feel enough ashamed: instead of making you do experiments with portable version, I could have noticed there's "highlight braces" setting in the Options window :oops: and that's probably the factor being the cause of your not seeing brace highlight.

As for the foreground color not working: it is working (kind of); see this thread. In short: foreground color is used as the border of highlighting rectangle (sometimes it can be seen only on the bottom, depending on your settings).
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

pjj wrote: 16 Nov 2021 21:20
inspector71 wrote: 16 Nov 2021 03:30 Thanks for your help pjj
No need to embarrass me, really, I feel enough ashamed:
Not my intention, no need :)

pjj wrote: 16 Nov 2021 21:20instead of making you do experiments with portable version, I could have noticed there's "highlight braces" setting in the Options window :oops: and that's probably the factor being the cause of your not seeing brace highlight.
Well, not sure why this is greyed out and why the RHS check boxes are empty, but fairly certain the Highlight braces option has always been enabled, yet it did not work / does not work (except in a fresh new portable installation) so it's looking like maybe there's something buggered with my profile / settings that cannot be fixed without a fresh set up :(

The same may be why I cannot get rid of popup completion / hints / automation (not sure what particular terms apply to exactly what I am seeing ... posibly more than one) which is quite frustrating I must admit. Probably could post another thread for that alone but ... who knows, probably just some freaky profile / settings corruption :x
pjj

Post by pjj »

inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 Well, not sure why this is greyed out and why the RHS check boxes are empty,
B/c these settings are the same as the default ones (=for "All Languages"). Click on the RHS checkboxes to activate them.
inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 but fairly certain the Highlight braces option has always been enabled, yet it did not work / does not work (except in a fresh new portable installation) so it's looking like maybe there's something buggered with my profile / settings that cannot be fixed without a fresh set up :(
I bet Rickard would love to put his hands on your INI file :) And I'm relieved to learn that you had this option set on.
inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 The same may be why I cannot get rid of popup completion / hints / automation (not sure what particular terms apply to exactly what I am seeing ... posibly more than one) which is quite frustrating I must admit. Probably could post another thread for that alone but ... who knows, probably just some freaky profile / settings corruption :x
Please post your bug report(s). Fixing bugs serves us all, not only the poster ;)
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

pjj wrote: 18 Nov 2021 19:20
inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 Well, not sure why this is greyed out and why the RHS check boxes are empty,
B/c these settings are the same as the default ones (=for "All Languages"). Click on the RHS checkboxes to activate them.
inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 but fairly certain the Highlight braces option has always been enabled, yet it did not work / does not work (except in a fresh new portable installation) so it's looking like maybe there's something buggered with my profile / settings that cannot be fixed without a fresh set up :(
I bet Rickard would love to put his hands on your INI file :) And I'm relieved to learn that you had this option set on.

If he thinks it's a likely factor, I'd be willing to shoot it through because I still have this ballache of a problem. A text editor without functioning brace matching is a substantial handicap :? (Almost as annoying as replying inline within phpBB!)

I'm already a slow, frustrated, half-arsed developer!

Lack of brace matching is a much bigger problem when working with JS. Lately I've mainly worked with CSS and HTML.
pjj wrote: 18 Nov 2021 19:20
inspector71 wrote: 18 Nov 2021 03:45 The same may be why I cannot get rid of popup completion / hints / automation (not sure what particular terms apply to exactly what I am seeing ... posibly more than one) which is quite frustrating I must admit. Probably could post another thread for that alone but ... who knows, probably just some freaky profile / settings corruption :x
Please post your bug report(s). Fixing bugs serves us all, not only the poster ;)
I guess that's a fair point. Maybe to save RJ some time I'll diff TextEd.ini between my current installation and the naked portable installation of the latest version ... if that's likely to be a cause of the trouble, which I am still unsure about. Could be good if RJ could weigh in here.

FWIW, in case not already mentioned, have tried switching to at least a few different themes and nothing.