FIXED: FTP - Still somewhat buggy :( - Sorry to say

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
inspector71

FIXED: FTP - Still somewhat buggy :( - Sorry to say

Post by inspector71 »

(Ooops, looks like I posted this in 'features' when maybe 'bugs' is more appropriate, feel free to mv if possible)

Hi

Have not used RJTE for months, mainly due to not coding much.

Unfortunately my default use case - opening from remote via SFTP and saving to remote via SFTP remains somewhat buggy, for me at least, I'm sorry to say because I do not want to be a nagger and I wish this was not an issue for Rikard and users.

One of the classic signs I know SFTP is failing, but only locking up, freezing, crashing RJTE, is the theme dies. I couldn't care less about that aesthetically, but it goes so far as to crash the window minimise / maximise and shutdown buttons. Again, couldn't care less except it seems the best indication of a big crash.

Appreciate the release notes mention updating FTP libraries, so I'm sure FTP is being attended to / maintained to some extent.

Eventually the only way for me to close and restart RJTE, short of using Task Manager, is right-clicking the task bar:

Often this causes loss of tabs, sometimes somehow updates to files, recent files are incorrect, etc.

FWIW, one way to work around crash issues in the short term might be to take a browser approach which seems to be to update a 'session' details file continuously that gets restored if there's a crash.

Possibly the most concerning aspect of these issues is the environment I get them in. I was running an entirely different laptop and OS. Now running a ThinkPad instead of my old ASUS and Windows X instead of 8.

Please let me know if I can help. Do not have oodles of time but otherwise enjoy RJTE so would be great if these issues could be isolated and fixed once and for all (short of library updates possibly causing new bugs)

Paul
Last edited by inspector71 on 04 Mar 2021 16:53, edited 4 times in total.

inspector71

Re: FTP - Still somewhat buggy :( - Sorry to say

Post by inspector71 »

Another one.

Open RJTE fresh after the above crash.

Connect via Panel.

FTP logging suggests all fine.

Change up directories from the old PWD that was not updated due to the crash.

Try to double click into a folder, boom ...

The folder is very much there on the server.

inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

Restart, exactly the same issue as the above post. *sigh*

So I guess, bug confirmed, reproduced?

I feel really bad about this as I wonder if I'm the only person who seems to experience these issues. Or if I'm just one of the few who want to use SFTP heavily in RJTE.

Checked permissions on the folder. They look OK.

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Fixed in next release (v14.72). Thanks!

inspector71

Re: FIXED: FTP - Still somewhat buggy :( - Sorry to say

Post by inspector71 »

Woo-hoo!

I have been giving Komodo another try. It has excellent SFTP support and not much wrong with it.

That said, I have installed 14.72 and, without exhaustive testing, the issue does indeed appear to be very much improved, if not completely fixed!

Sensational!

Thank you for all the effort required to fix this bug.

Might give 14.72 an extended run soon and see if it fits like an old glove again, as it were. Suspect it likely will!