Sidebar Toggle

Make a request or discuss new features.
primehalo

Sidebar Toggle

Post by primehalo »

It'd be really great to have a button to quickly toggle the sidebar on and off. I know each panel of the sidebar has the little pin icon but when the sidebar has several panels then each one needs to be clicked to hide the sidebar, and again each one to restore all the panels. Plus then having to re-adjust the size of the panels. A single button to just quickly hide and restore it would be very helpful.
pjj

Re: Sidebar Toggle

Post by pjj »

FWIW I have a sidebar with four panels and clicking on the pin icon switches them on/off together, so there's no need to close nor to restore them one by one (same goes for my bottombar, btw).
primehalo wrote: 05 Jun 2023 05:08 Plus then having to re-adjust the size of the panels.
Re-adjust the size? My panels are maxed in height, so I have four tabs at the bottom of my sidebar to switch between them. Isn't it so at your end? Or are all of your panels at the side of your main editing area always visible, stacked vertically or horizontally? (Because if it is so, and your panels are maxed in height, it would mean you have several sidebars.)

Here's a screenshot of a bottom-left corner of my editor:
bottom-left.png
bottom-left.png (7.31 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Project Manager, Code Explorer, Text Clips, and Document Symbols are my four panels in one sidebar; below you can see another four panels, belonging to one bottombar (currently collapsed).
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
crtrubshaw

Post by crtrubshaw »

Maybe a keyboard shortcut can help?

20230612-1228.png
20230612-1228.png (108.47 KiB) Viewed 1181 times
primehalo

Post by primehalo »

Maybe I have it configured wrong? I typically have three panels in my sidebar: File Explorer, Text Clips, and FTP but Text Clips and FTP never show simultaneously. There is a tab bar under the sidebar to switch between those, so really only two panels are showing in my sidebar at one time. In order to get the sidebar to collapse I have to unpin both of those panels. How do you get all of them to both collapse by clicking one pin?

To restore the panels I have to click the tab in that vertical area to the left of the sidebar then click on the pin icon, and this must be done for both panels. After doing so, the top panel (File Explorer) is squished to its minimum size and the bottom panel is full height. File Explorer is the one I use the most so I always have to readjust the height afterwards.

I do use hotkeys sometimes but I find it more convenient to hit a button so I don't have to take my eyes off what I'm doing to look at the keyboard or to remember what hotkey I need for this specific development environment.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
pjj

Post by pjj »

Why don't you "stack" all three of them into one area, so you have three tabs at the bottom of this panel? I have four (see my screenshot above): Project, Code Explorer, Text Clips and Document Symbols and I can pin/unpin my sidebar with one click (or one key combination -- TogglePanelsLeftAction, which I don't remember and thus don't use).
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
primehalo

Post by primehalo »

I have FTP & Text Clips stacked, but I like having the split File Explorer and bottom panel so I can have access to both simultaneously without having to toggle between them. I have enough vertical space for that. Usually I have enough horizontal space to just keep the sidebar open but when I need to shrink the window or I start splitting the main document window then horizontal space gets tight and I want to hide the sidebar real quick.

When a sidebar panel is unpinned it shows up as a vertical tab. I wouldn't mind having these available all the time so I could click to toggle them. Right now it seems like they will only show up when the panels are unpinned/auto-hide. I looked through the options but didn't see any way to have them always show up.