DONE: Tool output

Make a request or discuss new features.
kosthala

DONE: Tool output

Post by kosthala »

Is it possible to capture a tool output (DOS command) in real-time in messages pane instead of waiting for the tool to finish first?
pjj

Re: Tool output

Post by pjj »

Interesting question. I did some experiments and I guess the answer is no.

I used BAT file

Code: Select all

:start
echo #
goto start
because timeout command didn't work; of course I had to kill RJ TE, but the output was clear all the time. Then I wrote a small PHP script:

<?php
echo "PHP\n";
for ($i = 0; $i < 5; $i++) {
    echo $i, "\n";
    sleep(1);
}
and it produced the output only after the run was completed.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
micha_he

Post by micha_he »

But that would be a practical improvement. Maybe Rickard can modify it!?
pjj

Post by pjj »

micha_he wrote: 09 Nov 2022 07:58 But that would be a practical improvement.
My hunch, too, even though at the moment I can't point to any concrete case where it would be helpful. ...And the implementation would beg for a way to terminate the tool running in the background when you could observe its output "live", methinks.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Post by Rickard Johansson »

In the tool item dialog window - set "Run as DOS command and capture output" and "Run in background".

That should run the tool in a different thread and capture the output whenever the tool decides to output some information...
pjj

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 10 Nov 2022 19:06 In the tool item dialog window - set "Run as DOS command and capture output" and "Run in background".

That should run the tool in a different thread and capture the output whenever the tool decides to output some information...
That is my configuration, and still the output isn't captured piecemeal, but only on completion of tool's run. Moreover, "Halt a running script" is unavailable, and it's entry in the menu is dimmed. However, when I click on the icon to run the tool again, I get a message that the tool is running and I can stop it.

Btw. after completing the run I got "Process completed with exit code: 259" message (usually it's 0).
pjj

Post by pjj »

Correction: PHP code I posted above will always display output after it has run; here's the proper one:

<?php
for ($i = 0; $i < 5; $i++) {
    echo $i, "\n";
    flush();
    sleep(1);
}
It runs piecemeal on the command line (> php.exe test.php), but as a tool it waits for its completion and only then shows its output.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Should work better in next version (15.66). Thanks!
micha_he

Re: DONE: Tool output

Post by micha_he »

Works with AutoIt-Tools too, but a single CRLF at the end of an output-sting is lost !?
micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Can we get an additional option to open the normally minimized Messages-window, when the tool output is inserted there, not only at the tool-exit/-end?

And: The problem with the CRLF above, still exists in V15.68.
micha_he

Post by micha_he »

The problem with the lost CRLF still exists in V15.83.

And the "Messages"-windows is receive the output-text while the tool is running, but the "Messages"-windows remains unfortunately minimized and is maximized only when the tools ends.
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

It's not something I can reproduce. It should work with CRLF, CR and LF. As long as the tool running in the background outputs CRLF's.
And the "Messages"-windows is receive the output-text while the tool is running, but the "Messages"-windows remains unfortunately minimized and is maximized only when the tools ends.
That is by design. A minimized panel wont stay open unless it has focus. You wont be able to edit or do anything if you want the minimized panel to stay open. The moment it loses focus - it will minimize again. Unless you pin it.
Just open and pin it when you run the tool.
micha_he

Post by micha_he »

Rickard Johansson wrote: 29 Mar 2023 17:14
It's not something I can reproduce. It should work with CRLF, CR and LF. As long as the tool running in the background outputs CRLF's.
Repeat the test when "Run in backgroud" is activated!

Edit: Here's my test-tool (compiled AutoIt), which runs flawlessly in the windows commandline.
output-test_RJTED.zip
(451.34 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Fixed in next release (v15.84). Thanks!