Question about marking columns

Ask how to do things or if a certain feature is available in the program.
bbserv

Question about marking columns

Post by bbserv »

My latest project has me using column mode on large text files. Many times I need to mark a specific column from say line 200 to the end of the file at line 10,000. Is there a fast way to do this using the keyboard? Currently I am using Shift+Alt+End in column mode and then moving the cursor back to the column I want highlighted.

If I want to highlight column 12 and the last column on the last line is 122, my method highlights all columns between 12 and 122. I cursor back to column 12 to have just that column highlighted.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
pjj

Re: Question about marking columns

Post by pjj »

bbserv wrote: 13 Jan 2023 22:51 If I want to highlight column 12 and the last column on the last line is 122, my method highlights all columns between 12 and 122. I cursor back to column 12 to have just that column highlighted.
The quickest way would be to simply mark selection with your mouse (with column mode on).

You could also place caret on column 12 on the appropriate line, use mouse to scroll down to the bottom of your file (or the last line you want to select) and hit Shift+Ctrl+PgDn (SelectToBottomOfPageAction) -- now you have "0-column selection", which you can increase with left and right arrow keys.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
bbserv

Post by bbserv »

Thank you. I just tried it and it works better. I was kinda looking for a keyboard only solution, but this works and is much faster. Again, thank you for your time.
pjj

Post by pjj »

There's a keyboard-only solution, too: place a caret where you want your selection start and then press Shift-PgUP or Shift-PgDn.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus