RESOLVED Request: Add to Favourites Functionality

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

RESOLVED Request: Add to Favourites Functionality

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

In the VB6 IDE using a plugin called vbAdvance, it provides some useful functionality that might be useful for RjTextEd to replicate. That functionality appears as two icons and a pop-up window.

What it does is to allow the user to set and navigate to, favourite areas of code, so that you can navigate away and immediately jump back to the current 'favourite' location.

The two icons are:

"Add current procedure to favourites"
"Go to favourite procedure"

The favourite locations are stored for the lifetime of the session and also reloaded when the IDE is next re-opened. They are related to the current project context.

The icon, "Go to favourite procedure" when pressed, pops up a small window giving a list of the stored favourites, showing the following: The project, the filename, the procedure or function name, the procedure or function type, line number and a representation of the 'favourited' line of code.

A button to remove a selected favourite is available as well as OK and cancel.

A double-click on any of the favourites will immediately take you to that line of code and the pop-up will automatically close.

I am 'fairly' sure there is nothing like this in RJTextEd already. If I am right then potentially a useful feature and an enhancement.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 20 Aug 2022 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Request: Add to Favourites Functionality

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Do you mean something like this :wink:

2022-08-20_134543.png
2022-08-20_134543.png (25.1 KiB) Viewed 2109 times
yereverluvinuncleber

Yes, exactly like that Rickard...

I wish I'd found that before I posted, in my defence I did look hard. The trouble is I am no longer a power user (VB6 is my current workplace) so just an occasional RJTextEd user these days.

In that case, can we have a couple of customisable buttons+icons that add to favourites - but I suppose that is what the bookmarks are for? We have favourites and bookmarks. I have to say that I didn't find much regarding favourites when I searched the help, perhaps something needs to be added there?

I do search using the term "favourites" as I am thoroughly English, I speak it as it is meant to be spoken and I try not to bastardise the language, perhaps that was my problem, not using the American spelling?

ie. Favourites rather than Favorites.

As I use RjTextEd I find more and more, I really do love it. How do you find the time to put SO much into it?
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/
pjj

Post by pjj »

yereverluvinuncleber wrote: 20 Aug 2022 13:42 I do search using the term "favourites" as I am thoroughly English, I speak it as it is meant to be spoken and I try not to bastardise the language, perhaps that was my problem, not using the American spelling?

ie. Favourites rather than Favorites.

As I use RjTextEd I find more and more, I really do love it.
I reckon the easiest way to avoid this kind of situation in the future would be to make two English language files: en_US and en_UK; perhaps you could take a stab at the British one? Or, should I say, perhaps you could crack on with it, mate, eh? Proper cracking idea, or a naff one?
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
yereverluvinuncleber

Re: RESOLVED Request: Add to Favourites Functionality

I'll see what I can do in that respect PJJ.

FYI - we don't acknowledge the idea of 'British' English. I am English and I speak and spell it using straightforward "English" English.

What the Americans do is just mangle it badly and still call it a language, I just call it awful.

pjj

Re: RESOLVED Request: Add to Favourites Functionality

Post by pjj »

yereverluvinuncleber wrote: 21 Aug 2022 13:18 I'll see what I can do in that respect PJJ.
See no more, but instead attached please find a copy of language file converted to proper English. Enjoy! (You might want to review it before submitting to Rickard.)

Edit: Sorry no, forget it, sadly the file is too mangled (some entries don't show up at all).
Attachments
User defined.zip
(46.68 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus