FIXED: Problem with programming ligatures and bracktes

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
pjj

FIXED: Problem with programming ligatures and bracktes

Post by pjj »

Programming ligatures in fonts are great, and I still greatly enjoy using them. However, apart from a small nuisance I mentioned before, there's another one: they prohibit highlighting matching braces:

Here matching brace is highlighted:

but here isn't:

(There is a problem again with attachments: the second one disappeared from the form, and I can't place inline the first.)
Attachments
brackets 1.png
brackets 1.png (3.29 KiB) Viewed 920 times
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: Problem with programming ligatures and bracktes

Post by Rickard Johansson »

I had to make a small visual change for this to work. Brackets are now highlighted by a rectangle, where the background color is the same as before, but the former text color is now used for the rectangle instead.

It's pretty standard and used in many editors so you should get used to it quickly enough. You may want to tweak the colors a bit though...
BraceHighlight.png
BraceHighlight.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 882 times

pjj

Re: FIXED: Problem with programming ligatures and bracktes

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote:
12 Jul 2020 19:11
Brackets are now highlighted by a rectangle, where the background color is the same as before, but the former text color is now used for the rectangle instead.
Do you mean something like highlighting matching HTML tags? Yeah, this will be cool, I think 8)

...Oh, and the attachments are back! :-D
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus

pjj

Re: Problem with programming ligatures and bracktes

Post by pjj »

Rickard Johansson wrote:
12 Jul 2020 19:11
Brackets are now highlighted by a rectangle (...) you should get used to it quickly enough. You may want to tweak the colors a bit though...
I did, and I'm very pleased with the result. Many thanks!

(On a side note, I noticed that default values on dark background, namely stark green outline and transparent background, are not the best ones, because it's hard to notice at a glance where exactly the caret is; I changed them to solid gray background with the outline in the same color.)

primehalo

Post by primehalo »

Ah, I was wondering why the bracket highlighting changed. It makes finding the cursor very difficult when the cursor is next to a bracket. I'm using the SmokeyQuartz Kamri theme but even using the default Windows theme it's hard to see where the cursor is since I basically have to look for the lack of a cursor (AKA where a side of the bracket highlight box does not exist).

How do you change the colors to make the cursor more visible and the bracket boxes less visible?
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
Clipboard01.png (18.42 KiB) Viewed 515 times

pjj

Post by pjj »

Easy-peasy: Environment > Themes > Customize > Syntax highlighting > Brace highlight. I set the same color as foreground and background and am satisfied with the result; caret, because is blinking, is easily discernible (it's on line 6 below):
bracket-highlight.png
bracket-highlight.png (5.89 KiB) Viewed 493 times