Make a request or discuss new features.
DerellLicht1

DONE: REQUEST: skip unneeded dialogs when opening specified file

Post by DerellLicht1 »

When I open a new file from the command line, for example:
texted filename.cpp

please skip the two meaningless dialogs:

dialog 1: "file does not exist, do you want to create new file?"
This is absolutely superfluous!! Obviously I want to create the file that I just told you to create!!
There is also absolutely no cost or risk to skipping this dialog.

dialog 2: when I select Save, it opens the 'Save As' dialog, and asks if I want to save the filename that I already specified...
This is *also* absolutely superfluous!! Obviously I want to save the file that I already told it to create!!
And again, there is also absolutely no cost or risk to skipping this dialog, since I already specified the filename...

*Please* eliminate these two unneeded dialogs, when I open a new file from the command line...
No, it isn't the end of the world, but it really *is* annoying!!
Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: skip unneeded dialogs when opening specified file

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Dialog 1 is needed if the program is supposed to create something on disk. The program doesn't know if you want to create a new file or were trying to open a file but made a spelling error.

NotePad++ does this. It ask the user if the file should be created before actually creating the empty file on disk. It is then opened...

After some thinking I decided to change the behavior of the program to simply create an empty document with the given file name and path (if the file doesn't exist already). "Save" will simply save the document to file using the given file name and path. No prompt is displayed.

Added in next release (v15.21).
DerellLicht1

Re: DONE: REQUEST: skip unneeded dialogs when opening specified file

Post by DerellLicht1 »

Thank you *very* much for these changes!! I'm looking forward to this...

As far as concerns about someone having mis-spelled a name, that's really a red herring... it almost never actually happens, and if it does, I can cope with it on my own. The situation where I've opened a new file, intentionally, and have *not* mis-spelled it, is *much* more common...