Auto-close panels after mouse isn't over it

Make a request or discuss new features.
micha_he

Auto-close panels after mouse isn't over it

Post by micha_he »

I think it would be great to get a option, that opened panels are automaticly close, if the move isn't over the panel (moved to the editor main-window).

Additional I would prefer an option to set a time span, before a panel is displayed.
inspector71

Re: Auto-close panels after mouse isn't over it

Post by inspector71 »

SOLVED

There is a pin in each toolbar next to the X to close it. Toggle that pin and the panels will behave the way you want.
micha_he

Post by micha_he »

No, sorry, you misunderstood! The pin hold the panel always open. I want more the opposite...

I mean, the panel doesn't close when the mouse leave it. It stays open until the next mouseclick in the main window.
Look in this short video (no mouseclicks, only mousemove):
panel_not_close.gif
panel_not_close.gif (348.15 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
If I hit the panel with a quick mouse swipe, it opens it immediately, but it just close when I klick with the mouse in the main window.
Can we avoid this behavior ?
Attachments
panel_not_close_mp4.zip
(90.1 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
inspector71

Post by inspector71 »

No problem, I thought that might be what you meant. Nice screenshot to tell a thousand words. Helps a lot.

When to trigger the hiding is a little tricky because if people mistakenly hover a few pixels to the right, for example when trying to click a scroll bar, the panel would disappear annoyingly. Possibly similar would be when users try to hover the very edge of the panel in order to adjust the width. With a hover-base panel closing trigger, adjusting the panel width could be like trying to catch a fly! :)

Perhaps a half-second timeout might be the best compromise? As it is now, it is very finite and I suppose users know predictably how it will behave. If a timeout option is not as obvious, it may annoy some users.

Might be worth a try. Possibly a settings for the timeout could be added, allowing users to choose?