DONE: "Find all" Improvement to find all files

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

DONE: "Find all" Improvement to find all files

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

Within the new beta search box I am trying to help you streamline its operation as it is a little clunky at the moment (until fully ironed out).

I like to be able to search all open files for a string, not a search/replace, just a simple search and the results should appear in the listing area. All good so far.

In the new beta search pop-up If I type the text into a search and find that the text is not found in the current file then the modal box closes. I then have to re-open the search pop-up, click "find in files", change the search text from its default, ensure the "open files" radio button is checked and then click find again. I have to be careful to not click 'replace' by mistake or lots of files will potentially be modified (that has already happened to me once).

All this just for a quick search in all open files.

My suggestion is an easy one. On the simple search tab make "find all" a little more powerful and make searching within all files a little less dangerous.

A click on "find all" could do exactly that, find all occurrences of the string within this file and all open files. This extra functionality could be controlled by an option or by a visible checkbox as shown in the mockup below.

What this does is make the simple search tab slightly more powerful without compromising the new "find in files" tab, it also makes it less dangerous as no replace option is present on the simple find tab.

It is, after all a "find all" button and extending its utility to match its name is not illogical.

This functionality can be viewed as it is already present using the Context editor. It has been found to be very useful and is tried and tested.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

Rickard Johansson
Site Admin

Re: REQUEST: "Find all" Improvement to find all files

Post by Rickard Johansson »

Added two new scopes to the find and replace tabs: "In current function" and "All open files".

The search scope "Open files" is still present in the "Find in files" tab.

Done in next release (v13.40).

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: DONE: "Find all" Improvement to find all files

First class - look forward to testing.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: DONE: "Find all" Improvement to find all files

Testing, an addition of really very useful functionality, seems to be working fine.