CLOSED - Tune Search Pop-up

Make a request or discuss new features.
yereverluvinuncleber

Post by yereverluvinuncleber »

One of the main reasons I have switched to using RJTextEd is due to the powerful search utility. It has functionality over and above many of its competitors. It also allows configuration of the search positions from bottom-loaded search to a search pop-up. This is unexpectedly configurable and a delight to have this much search-utility at your fingertips. However, the search pop-up in my opinion needs tuning as its layout is not particularly optimised.

This is NOT a criticism, this is me trying to be helpful and as I can't make changes to the graphical layout myself, my only recourse is to offer alternative layouts.

The following image shows the area where the search pop-up box needs to be tuned. By 'tuned' I mean optimised in appearance and in utility, buttons are closer, in handy locations and the overall pop-up size is compact.

Fig 1. Showing current search in pop-up mode and with issues raised in red

The screenshots were taken on a Windows 7 system and it is apparent that the editor does not respect the theme colours. There is a lot of space all around the controls and some of the controls are over-sized. The tabs themselves contribute to the size of the search windows. There is a lot of mouse-movement required as the various components are not sited for easy-reach. The main issue however is that the find, replace buttons are at the bottom in a less-than-handy location.

My proposed alternatives, note all of these images are actual size. These are, of course, just mock-ups:

Fig 2. Showing proposed layout for a search box

Fig 3. Showing proposed layout for a search/replace box

Fig 4. Showing proposed layout for a goto box

Removal of the tabs frees up space, the search, replace and goto functions are still available as separate pop-ups using ctrl+f, ctrl+r and ctrl+g respectively. There is no need for search tabs and the result is, in the case of the goto tab it being simply filled with air... example below.

Fig 5. Showing current layout for a goto box

I use the search function in pop-up mode exclusively as for the majority of the time my editor runs in windowed mode and the bottom panel is off-screen, so the pop-up mode for search is very useful to me, indispensable in fact.

The proposed layout puts the find/replace buttons very close to the text boxes which is very handy for me, it reduces mouse movement as does the overall compact size of the proposed search boxes. The goto box is much enhanced in appeal graphically.

I hope this suggestion is taken in the spirit it is offered. Search in RjText Ed is implemented beautifully on a functional basis, it just lacks refinement graphically.

I could create these very quickly for you in VB6 or using Photoshop but neither would be of much use. I could also create it using Lazarus if that would be of assistance, of course all the control names would be incorrect, so I really cannot help very much. Nevertheless the offer is there and if I could contribute a change then I would.

Fig. 6 Finally, here is a mock-up of the proposed search pop-up above RjTextEd.
(Right click and select "view image" to see the proposed pop-up in greater detail)

I hope you can see that the proposed search/replace pop-up box looks perfectly suited to RjTextEd, it is 'tighter' and has greater utility. Please give me feedback. This is the only way I can contribute at the moment.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 29 Jun 2018 12:28, edited 1 time in total.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: SUGGESTION: Tune Search Pop-up

I appreciate that the pop-up search is a version of the bottom-loaded search and is therefore similar in layout to that. I also appreciate that size and memory footprint are important too but in my world being exposed to well-laid out pop-up searches, I prefer a pop-up to be optimised for a pop-up rather than being a jack-of-all-trades search that works just as well at the bottom or the top. My penn'orth.
"Noli pati a scelestis opprimi"... or is it "non lacessit illegitimae te carborundum"?

You can find me on Deviantart https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvinuncleber/gallery/

rjbill

Re: SUGGESTION: Tune Search Pop-up

Post by rjbill »

I don't think it's a big deal and is fine as is.
RJTE version 14.64 (actual) - 64-bit
Win 10 Pro 64-bit 8 GB RAM Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz SCSI Hard Drive 1 TB

Note: The signature is dynamic, not static,
so it may not show the correct version above
that was in use at the time of the post.

yereverluvinuncleber

Well, RJBill, it may not have been a big deal to you but I think it actually was a big deal as search usability makes or breaks an editor in the real world. The old search layout was the only unpolished part of RJTextEd and it was clear that it needed to be brought up to date.

The new beta shows that the changes have been made to improve search functionality and it is a radical change for the better.

Find is simple, not so cluttered and exceedingly easy to use.

This new search utility must have been quite a bit of hard work to implement and get just 'right' so my congratulations to RJ for this good bit of work.

Feedback so far:

The GOTO tab is now very usable. It has not shrunk in size as I suggested but in fact you have added much more functionality as I guess you had planned to do so all along. Pleased by the new functionality and impressed by the changes. Not used it in anger but the layout is good.

Button positions - These are now in just the right location minimising mouse/cursor movement. So much more logical than before.

The find in files tab - This has taken all the advanced functionality and has moved it into its own tab which has made the preceding search/replace tabs much tidier. This is entirely logical and makes the whole search experience much more usable and satisfying. It really shows what thought has gone into getting it right. Impressed. Not yet used it in anger but will do so and feedback further.

The search buttons and controls now respect the Windows theme colours as they should - good.

The following are not reservations or criticisms but just comments or observations:

My suggestions to allow an option for no tabs has not been implemented, this would allow a search box only on a CTRL/F and replace box on a CTRL/R. I understand why this hasn't been implemented - The new search does not attempt to save on space and so there is still a lot of padding around the find/replace controls. I understand the reason for this as the search is all part of one module and one form and so the tabbed options have to appear on the same 'real estate' as it were. The option to have a more condensed search pop-up in addition would require a separate form and unnecessary form/code duplication, the resulting exe would be larger and the code not quite so logical.

Secondly, moving the buttons to the right removes the need somewhat for reducing space as the buttons are no longer at the bottom of a large form.

Lastly, although it would be nice and slick to have the option not to display the tabs, the advanced tab would still need a button or CTRL sequence to activate it - not sure what CTRL sequence you would use.

I suppose I can live with the tabs and the resulting padding... the overall search is SO much better now. Generally very impressed with your responsiveness to feature requests and very pleased that my recommendations could help too. :)

Overall the new search looks 100% better.

I will raise any bugs found in the correct part of the forum.

rjbill

Re: CLOSED - Tune Search Pop-up

Post by rjbill »

No.

You gave him VERY POOR advice that goes against most "best practices" for Dialog box design,
and it's unfortunate that he listened to you and implemented it.

I didn't pay it much attention and comment on it, because I didn't think he would do it.

The new interface is WORSE than the old interface.

And now, all of us who have been used to the old design have to "re-learn" the new design,
and it was all not only unnecessary, but has become a pain and an "issue".
RJTE version 14.64 (actual) - 64-bit
Win 10 Pro 64-bit 8 GB RAM Intel Core i7-6700 3.40 GHz SCSI Hard Drive 1 TB

Note: The signature is dynamic, not static,
so it may not show the correct version above
that was in use at the time of the post.

yereverluvinuncleber

Re: CLOSED - Tune Search Pop-up

Don't forget your opinion is just that, an opinion just like mine. It does not mean that it is always correct. I am sure RJ isn't easily swayed by any old suggestion that pops up.

I explained why my suggestions would be better using sentences, words, pictures and diagrams. The functionality I suggested also had prior usage and was demonstrable as the majority of it already existed in another editor.

If you are so keen on the old functionality state why, draw some similar diagrams and make a cogent argument as to why the old layout was better. RJ may respond. It might be possible to have an alternative set of buttons at the bottom that can be made visible if the option to do so is enabled.

If you can keep it factual and not personal then your argument might do a little better. Two 'C's. Civil and Cogent.