v14.70 Program error when opening files

Report issues, odd behaviors or submit a detailed bug report.
DGladden

v14.70 Program error when opening files

Post by DGladden »

I get an error message that RJ TextEd has stopped working any time I open a file externally from my file manager or FTP client. This error does not occur if I navigate to the file from within RJ TextEd, i.e. use the program's File > Open method.

Despite the error message and the prompt to close the program, RJ TextEd continues to work, so this is more of an annoyance than a severe disruption.

Regards,
DG
DGladden

Re: v14.70 Program error when opening files

Post by DGladden »

This problem persists in v14.90.4.

When I drag a file into the editor, it opens without error. When I double click a file or use the "Open With" option in File Explorer, RJ opens the file but issues a message that the program has stopped working.

Attached is a debug log that shows the sequence when the error occurs (first load file sequence). The second load file sequence is when I drag a file into the editor and no error message occurs.

Thanks for your attention.
Attachments
DebugOutput.zip
(364 Bytes) Downloaded 176 times
pjj

Post by pjj »

This problem has been around since long time ago; I believe it depends on some obscure Window settings, since it is elusive and thus hard to fix.

On my machine with Windows 7 Pro I can't open files from Windows Explorer nor Everything, be it by double-clicking, dragging or RMC > Open (no error message, just nothing happens) -- but I can do it with no problem whatsoever from my file manager, and this is all I care about.

On my machine with Windows 10 Pro I can open files however I want to.
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus
DGladden

Post by DGladden »

Thanks, pjj. Sad to hear there's no apparent fix, but at least it's not just me. Thanks for responding.
pjj

Post by pjj »

I just noticed it (15.02) works on Windows 7 and I can open files however I want. Thanks a lot, Rickard!
Nb. there are only 24 tacks in the picture above; I could paste it 42 times here, but I am sure it won't be necessary to convey what I mean ;)
Alium tibi quaere fratrem; hic, quem tuum putas, meus est. Titus Flāvius Caesar Vespasiānus Augustus