RJ TextEd is developed in Delphi XE6 from Embarcadero and is released as Freeware.
The program is free to use for commercial purposes. But if you do, I would appreciate a donation.
The program has been tested in windows XP/Vista/Windows 7/8/10 (32 and 64 bit) and Linux (Wine).
Note that the language and syntax files will be replaced when installing a new version. Place user language files and user syntax files in the "User defined" folder.
Version 11.0 (Feb 18, 2016)
32-bit version only.
Exe file: Download
64-bit version only.
Exe file: Download
32-bit + 64-bit versions.
Exe file: Download
The archive include both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
7-Zip file: Download
Updated Install Script
The installation files on this page contained v11.0 beta 4. I've updated the scripts and they now contain version 11.0 (final). Sorry about that!
Added a search field inside the menu bar to the right. The search results are display in a grouped list. The search is context sensitive so all groups may not always be displayed in the same order or displayed at all. Each group is also collapsible.
The displayed groups are:
- Menu items
- Recent files
- Recent projects
- Recent sessions
- File commander
- Theme manager
- Online resources
Use the context menu to change which items should be displayed in the list. E.g. if you feel that the options list takes to long to complete, uncheck "Options".
Menu items are always displayed in the list. Some menu items have a radio or check button to the right. This indicates a setting. You can select it as usual with [Enter] or the item can be toggled, without closing the result list, with [Shift][Enter].
- Use [Up] and [Down] arrows to navigate the list. You can also use the mouse.
- Select an item with [Enter], or a mouse click.
- You can toggle a menu item setting, displayed as a radio or check button, by using [Shift][Enter].
- Use [Esc] to exit the search.
Added a hint to the stausbar when the mouse hover over the line, col and character panel. The hint display the current line, text cursor column, selection information, and character information (including the Unicode character name).
Made extensive code changes and several changes in the code explorer panel.
Name spaces and classes should display properly now in the upper display. Nested items are displayed in a tree structure.
Structures are displayed in the lower display including structure methods, if available. I may change this in a later version.
Methods and sub-methods should be sorted properly now.
The height is adjusted automatically when only a few items are displayed.
If you update from the previous release - only the changed files are downloaded and installed. This reduce the download size and makes the update process faster.
If you update from an older version - the entire installation is downloaded.
Change document encoding
Fixed several issues when changing encoding. Both when converting between ANSI encodings and ANSI to UTF8.
- (Un)Indent lines now preserve selection better.
- Floating panels now have a shadowed border.
- Arrays should be foldable now if they span several lines.
- Only the active document tab has the active tab color when in dual document view.
- If you disable all output options with replace all, a quick replace information string is displayed in the status bar. It goes away after 5 seconds.
- A split window now open at the same location as the original view.
- Text clips should preserve indention.
- Emmet issue with ^
- Emmet XSL (XSLT) issues.
- Column mode issues.
- Search result toolbar button issue.
- Wrong column value in status bar.
- Wrong selected lines value in status bar when selecting upwards.
- Toggle browser view issue.
- Annotation bar should always use the document background color.
- Annotation bar selection issues and slow drawing.
Added an option to set the font used for printing. Like the text font, you can set individual fonts for different file types.
To use a print font you have to enable it in options (font and tabs options). If not enabled, the current code or text font is used. Just as before.
- Emmet encoding issue.
- Emmet extract abbreviation issue.
- Tool UTF-8 output issue.
- Execute text clip from a keyboard shortcut.
- A comment issue with the CSS/LESS highlighter.
- Copy, paste and refresh issues in word wrap mode.
- Edit issues in word wrap mode when syntax highlighter use regex.
- A click on the annotation bar should give focus to the editor window.
- Open file issue in the Syntax Editor.
- A tab issue with printing.
Included latest Emmet JS code and added several "HTML->Emmet" menu items.
Expand abbreviation at cursor (Shift+Enter)
Type an abbreviation e.g. "ul>li*5" and select menu item or hit Shift+Enter to expand the abbreviation under the cursor.
Expand abbreviation (Ctrl+,)
Opens a small edit box. Type the abbreviation and hit enter to insert the expanded code.
Wrap with abbreviation (Shift+Ctrl+,)
Select some code and select menu item. Type the abbreviation in the opened edit box and hit enter to insert the expanded code.
Next edit point
Find next edit point, e.g. between tags.
Previous edit point
Find previous edit point.
Added 3 common entities as snippets.
nb -> lt -> < gt -> >
Emmet is not available on Windows XP or below.
Display a narrow annotation bar beside the vertical scrollbar.
A left mouse click on the annotation bar will move the text cursor that place in the document.
The annotation bar display:
- The current line
- Selection (including multiple selection)
- Changed lines
- Matching HTML,XML tags
- Matching fold items
- Matching braces
- Find All matches
Updated the 64-bit version to a newer version (v45).
All input macros can now have names.
%var% = @i[John Doe] Full Name or %cl% = @c My Color
These names are displayed in the variable input window. If only one variable needs input, the name may not be shown. E.g. if you have a single input request for a color, the color dialog is shown and the name is ignored. But for a prompt input (@i) the name is still shown in the prompt window.
All macro names are optional so
%cl% = @c
is perfectly fine.
Redesigned the dropdown buttons to switch toolbar and changed icons.
Hidden panels open and close faster in this version. Except the search result and message panels. They open as fast but close after a small delay.
You can assign a keyboard shortcut to view/hide any panel in "Customize keyboard...".
Open as binary files
Added an option to edit file extensions used to identify binary files.
- "Paste from clipboard" is now much faster in large files.
- Made some visual changes in the toolbar. Syntax and spell buttons are resized if necessary.
- Save prompt is not displayed anymore for cloned documents.
- Document.BeginUpdate should work better in scripts.
- Project "Rescan all files" will remove non-existing files from the project.
- FTP/SFTP upload issues.
- Variable input issues with text clips.
- Sort undo issues.
- Text compare issue.
- Issue where editor toolbar buttons could disappear.
- Toolbar display issues.
- Regex issue with Unix or Mac line breaks and find all.
- External change warning when deleting file in "Save As..." window.
- Hex view scroll issues.
- Hex view edit and copy issues.
- Hex view undo issues.
- Hex view memory corruption issue.
- Several find/replace issues.
Reduces memory usage when opening source files. The editor should use about the same amount of memory as with plain text files.
The change is most notable if you open a large file with a large number of lines.
I also fixed a few problems related to large files, like slow search and freeze issues.
File explorer panels and File Commander
Replaced all components with new ones. These are actively updated, a bit faster and handles themes better.
- Startup should be slightly faster when explorer panels are visible.
- The explorer panel shell dropdown list should look okay now with themes.
- Added a refresh toolbar button.
- Added a few options. Auto refresh could slow down startup and dir changes and is disabled by default.
The file commander shell dropdown lists have been replaced with shell breadcrumb components and made some visual changes.
Find and replace
All found items are now highlighted when doing a "Find" or "Replace". The current item is highlighted using the section color and all other items using a lighter color.
This gives you a better view of the found items in your document and makes "Find Next/Previous" more intuitive. It is also the standard behavior in most modern editors.
The colors can be changed in "Themes -> Customize". You can also disable the highlighting, if you wish.
Made some small changes too improve speed when searching project files and files in a folder.
Resizable toolbar buttons
All toolbar buttons are now resizable. You can set one size for main, preview, quickbar and file commander toolbars, another for panel toolbars and one for the editor toolbar.
This allows you to use a larger button size on high resolution displays and use different button sizes on e.g. the main toolbar and panel toolbars.
Redesigned the quickbar and removed the tabs. You switch pane using a dropdown menu to the left.
This saves some space and makes the quickbar "blend in" better.
Updated the 32-bit libraries to a newer version (45.x). Flash is not supported anymore in the 32-bit version.
The 64-bit libraries (v39.x) still support flash, but are little older. There are a few issues with the newer libraries from v45.x (Devtools need to open in an external window, default background color is set to a random color and can't be changed). So I decided not to use them.
Fixed several issues with Chrome preview and made some improvements.
- Pages should render faster now.
- Panel preview is updated properly when opened.
- Media contents (video...) could crash the editor.
- Some mouse wheel scroll issues.
Added an option to enable/disable the Chrome preview. The Chrome library is not loaded if disabled. This option require a restart to work properly.
Multi select by left margin click
Ctrl+LMouse click in the left margin will now toggle selection. This enables you to deselect items if you made a wrong selection.
Note that a Ctrl+LMouse click will deselect any selection found on the same line. Even if it spans several lines.
Updated the component to the latest version and fixed a few issues.
Highlighter (syntax files)
Blocks can now use regular expressions for start and stop strings.
- Updated tidy.exe to the latest version.
- Added "Find in project files..." to the project panel context menu.
- Added folding for some new HTML5 tags.
- Addons window should handle theme colors better now.
- Editor toolbar theming issue.
- Images were not drawn properly in customize toolbars when using themes.
- Document tab issue when turning off the option to show images in tabs.
- Code explorer and fold issue in C++ code.
- Shift+Del issue in search fields.
- Replace prompt could not be positioned.
- Text sort undo issue.
Added a chrome preview tab, internal Chrome browser and Chrome browser views. Chrome Developer Tools (DevTools) have been added to the internal browser and Chrome tab.
We need an up-to-date preview browser and Windows IE is not actively developed anymore. The Chrome preview is up-to-date, but it is quite large in size.
Chrome preview is available in all versions (install, portable, win32, win64) and may eventually replace the IE preview completely.
Chrome preview is available on Windows XP and higher using the 32-bit version, Windows 7 and higher using the 64-bit version. You can still run the 64-bit version on Windows Vista x64, but Chrome preview is not available.
Message and input windows
All dialog windows should use themes now. This include simple message windows and more advanced input windows.
Panels use the program themes now, instead of there own styles. The old panel styles are still available and can be selected in the theme manager, but the program theme is used by default.
Added options to have images in panel tabs and in unpinned panels. Images in tabs are shown by default.
Added a panel to list bookmarks in the current document. The toolbar buttons lets you add, delete or clear all bookmarks.
The bookmark list will show the bookmark type (numbered or plain), the line number and the text on the line.
Changed the default document icons in all recent file lists, document list and document tabs. They should make it easier to identify files of different file types.
You can also use associated system icons (Options -> Style and fonts).
Added a checkbox to switch case sensitive word count on.
Redesigned the add/edit clip window. Variables are now a bit simpler to add and I removed one of the text fields.
Text clips use one input dialog with one or several fields where you can edit all your input values. This is especially useful if the text clips use many variables and they need many input values from the user.
To enclose a selection use the static %sel% variable.
The %sel% variable can only be used once. If you need to use the selection again just add another variable and use the command @csel.
Added new commands. @csel = current selection, @clbrd = clipboard content.
E.g. %csel% = @csel %clip% = @clbrd now you can use %csel% and %clip% anywhere in the clip text.
Project panel (context menu)
Added several context menu items to copy the selected file as:
- File name
- HTML CSS link
- HTML image tag
- HTML script tag
- HTML anchor tag
- HTML href=""
- PHP include
- PHP require
- C/C++ include
Tool argument commands
Added a few new commands to extract the drive, path (without drive) and file extension of the current document path.
- Word completion should handle objects better e.g. "object.".
- Added an option to set the max number of items in find/replace dropdown lists.
- Added an option to close a document tab by double clicking the tab.
- Theme issue with document map.
- Bookmarks on wrapped lines.
- Scroll issue in hex view.
- Some issues with word count.
- Unfold All issue with user defined folds from a selection.
- A few sort issues in Syntax Editor.
- Syntax editor layout issues.
- Issue with escape characters.
- Icon display issues on Windows XP.
- Several issues with binary files and hex view.
- Auto update issues.
- Close document tab with close button on active tab only.
Color hint under mouse cursor
To display a color hint move the mouse cursor over a color value in the text and wait a second. The hint is displayed until you move the mouse. The hint display the color in a colored rectangle together with several color values in different formats.
The first value is an RGB() value. Next is a web color value e.g. #F2A723 and last a decimal value.
It is now possible to word wrap at the window edge, right margin or a specified column. When using fonts like "Arial" the column# value means characters. E.g. if you specify column 120 - the text will wrap at character 120.
Hard wrap by inserting line breaks is available for both wrap at right margin and wrap at column.
I also added an option to wrap at the absolute margin. This option allow the text to be wrapped at the exact specified value, instead of at an natural break point. E.g. if you set word wrap at column 80, the text will wrap after 80 characters. Even if that happens to be in the middle of a word.
Added two new items in the format menu to format paragraphs.
Reformat paragraph (indent first line)
Reformat paragraph (indent following lines)
Added a drop down menu to the text clips panel with some new functions.
Import text clips...
Read an XML file with clips, display a tree to let you select which text clips to import. You can either import to an "Imported" tree node or to the currently selected node.
Export text clips...
Opens a tree to let you select the text clips you want to export to an XML file.
Added new variables that can be used in text clips to open:
- a color dialog @c
- a font dialog @fn
- a file dialog @fi[<initial dir>]
- a folder dialog @fo[<default dir>]
e.g. %% %dir%=@fo[c:\Windows] %file%=@fi[c:\Windows] %color%=@c %font%=@fn %% This is the path to my pictures "%dir%", and this is my favorite picture "%file%". The background color is %color% and the title font "%font%".
Restore text clips from backup...
It's a simple implementation where the text clips are saved to a backup file the first time you make a change to a text clip in a session. The backup file is then not updated until the next time you run the program and make a change in your text clips.
If something should happen to the clips, e.g. while importing from a file or due to a nasty program/system crash, chances are you may be able to restore most of the clips by using this function.
Sync edit mode
Made some changes to the sync edit mode.
Insert any character:
You can now insert any characters to the edited string(s). Even symbols.
Select string and edit all identical strings:
Normally the editor identifies identical words under the text cursor. But now you can select any string, containing any characters, and edit all identical strings at the same time. First select a string as normal. Press the left or right arrow key to clear the selection. All identical strings are now marked and can be edited.
Document.BeginUndo ... Document.EndUndo will only add one item to the undo/redo buffer in this version. You can see this item in the undo/redo history window including the script name.
Undo/Redo of a script action using BeginUndo/EndUndo is a bit faster as well.
Function and method tracking should now be able to switch class automatically in the code explorer. E.g. if the text cursor is inside a method in class A and you move the cursor to a method in class B - class B will be selected in the code explorer and the current method highlighted.
Store unmodified documents in a temp folder
Unmodified open files are now saved in regular intervals to a temp folder. If the program crash or exit expectingly the program should open the last saved version when restarted.
Note that this file may be a few minutes old and may therefor not hold all your latest changes.
The editor will still try to save everything to a temp folder if the program crash, but sometimes that doesn't work.
Backup extension (.bak)
Added an option to add a backup extension (.bak) to all backup copies.
Changed when navigation points are saved. The different points in the same document has to be at least one page apart (can be changed in options). A new point may be saved when you left mouse click in the document or move the text cursor left or right.
Document tab mouse wheel scroll
You can now scroll through the document tabs using the mouse wheel. The wheel scroll is activated when the left/right scroll arrow buttons are visible.
- Some code changes to speed up the explorer lists in the panels and file commander.
- The folder menu button hint on the search bar now display selected options.
- Select tag function issues.
- Mouse wheel scroll issues in Windows 10.
- Reformat paragraph when selecting upwards.
- Reload as binary should switch the view to hex view.
- Tab color based on file extension.
- A large number of other minor issues...
Hex view and hexadecimal editing abilities has been added to the text memo component. The 3d party hex editor component has been removed. The loaded text or binary file is not altered or loaded between components anymore when switching between text and hex mode. Everything is handled by my text memo component. This means undo/redo always work even if we switch between views and the hex view can use theme colors.
- Options are available in the context menu.
- You can display 16, 24 or 32 bytes per row.
- You can group 1 or 2 bytes in each column.
- You can display the text as ANSI or ASCII.
- Undo/Redo now works even if you switch between text and hex view.
- Colors can be set in the themes manager.
- Font is set in Options -> Font and tabs.
- Print font size is auto adjusted to make sure the display is fitted to each printed page.
- Goto (Ctrl+G) a specified address in the file.
- Some of the select functions work in hex view as well, like "Select All", "Select current line", "Select to EOL"...
You can copy selected bytes (or words) as:
Visual Basic .NET
Rich Text (RTL)
Plain text and code is displayed as 16-bit words and it's indicated at top left corner. Binary files are displayed as 8-bit bytes.
ASCII files are handled differently in this version. All ASCII files are opened and loaded without any conversion to Unicode. They are handled as binary files internally. ASCII characters are still displayed correctly for all code pages.
Converting between ASCII code pages will not actually change the file data. Nothing is altered, the characters are only displayed differently depending on which code page is selected.
- You can even convert between ASCII and Unicode (and back).
- Undo/Redo works now with conversion and changing encodings.
- The symbol panel page "ASCII" is now adaptive and always display the full ASCII range based on the current code page used. If the current ASCII file use OEM Cyrillic - those characters are displayed in the ASCII page.
- ALT + code should work properly now as well and insert the correct values.
Convert between ANSI/ASCII and Unicode
All convert functions in the "Format" menu should work correctly now and work with undo/redo. You never risk loosing anything when doing a conversion. You can undo any conversion operation.
Added an item to the "New" dropdown list on the main toolbar to create a new file. In the dialog window you can enter name, extension, file type, and encoding. You can also create a new binary file.
It is also available on the "Home" page in the "Create new file" area.
Added an option (in font and tabs section) to change the font size. The current line is highlighted in the document map.
Added an option to auto adjust the printer font size to fit all text within the right margin (or column 80) to the printed page. This option is set by default and is available in the print dialog window.
Made some visual changes to the home page and added an item to open the new dialog window for creating a new document.
Added a few new menu items to the script menu.
- You can now add scripts to the script menu for quick access. This is a very simple implementation and only list the added scripts at the end of the menu. You can manage the added scripts (sort, remove...).
- If you select the menu item "Run and select document..." you are prompted to select an open document. This document will be moved to the right side and used as the "Document" in the script.
You can now assign a keyboard shortcut to all project commands (compile, build, run and user commands). Compile, Build and Run and Run without build can be enabled in the main toolbar. Use "Environment - Customize toolbar" to enable them.
Added an option to save modified files before build.
Made a few changes to the search bar. You can now use a one-line bar when searching in folders or project files. Use the new folder button to open a menu with a list of recently used folders, search filters and other folder functions and options.
Document switch list (Ctrl+Tab)
Document switch list now handles mouse click, double mouse clicks and mouse wheel scrolling.
A single left mouse click will focus the item and display the document path.
A double left mouse click will focus the item, display the document path and switch tab to the selected document. The document switch list remains open.
If the vertical scrollbar is shown - you can scroll the list using the mouse wheel.
Replaced the line number menu items in the "View" menu with one menu item. "Line numbers" will display or hide the line numbers for the current file type. So you can enable line numbers in text files, hide them in CSS files but display them in PHP files...
- Optimized code and improved editing performance.
- Minor changes to how tab controls are painted.
- Added an output format item to the color dialog for just the RGB values.
- Remote FTP file path is now displayed in the window title.
- Added an option to set the navigation history offset. The default is 1 page.
- Format - Wrap lines at margin... should work with selections now and handle the column# value properly when using a proportional font.
- Added "Save Copy As..." to the tab context menu.
- Multiple selections are displayed in the document map.
- Document tab hint information is better formatted.
- Open and save binary files didn't work properly and could corrupt the file.
- Open, save and edit ASCII files didn't work properly.
- "Unwrap lines by removing line breaks..." now work on selected text.
- Auto highlight issue when displaying find results.
- Syntax change issue when saving a text file and using a different extension.
- Window redraw issue, could result in jumping display in panels...
- Document map draw issue when selecting text with auto highlight words.
- Cursor position issue when document map is displayed.
- Left/Right/Center align should use the correct right margin value now.
- Several other minor issues found when working on this release.