RJ TextEd is developed in Delphi 2007 from Codegear and is released as Freeware.
The program is free to use for commercial purposes. But if you do, I would appreciate a donation.
The program has been tested in windows Me/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008/Windows 7/8 (32 and 64 bit).
Note that the language and syntax files will be replaced when installing a new version. Place user language files and user syntax files in the "User defined" folder.
Download RJ TextEd
Zip file: Download
Plugins and tools
Skins, languages, syntax files and dictionaries
These are installed from within the program. Open the Addons dialog window to manage them.
Although "Courier New" is an excellent mono spaced font, there are others you may want to try. On Windows XP or later I would recommend "Consolas". If you use Windows XP or later you can download it from here .
You could also try DejaVu here.
Create a new skin
Use this skin builder to create or modify your own skins.
Download it here.
(TopStyle Lite) CSS Editor
RJ TextEd is a very good CSS editor. It includes syntax highlighting, auto completion (Ctrl+Space), color wheels, font selection and CSS preview (open the bottom HTML/CSS preview). But if you still prefere to use the old TopStyle Lite, here it is.
- Current date and time is inserted in the description field when saving a session.
- Added option in the session drop down list to "Close all open files", when a new session is opened.
- Add files to the favorite file list.
- Word wrap issue that could cause the editor to hang.
- Change of default printer changes the default printer used by the editor.
- Manually selecting a printer should work properly now.
- Macro recording of capitalize, upper/lower/invert case.
- Last character on a line may be missing 1 pixel at the right edge.
- If keywords defined in a syntax file are case sensitive, then so are comments.
- The save session menu item was grayed out.
- Goto bookmark display issue in plain text files.
- Font issue in find/replace dialog window.
- Text cursor position lost after unsuccessful search.
- A few issues when activating highlighter in "Addons".
- A re-wrap issue when restoring window from minimized.
ASCII art files
Added better support for ASCII art files.
- Added Unicode font support. E.g. "Lucida Console", "Courier New"... "Terminal" font still works but some characters may not display properly.
- Open/save should work properly without stripping some characters.
- Alt+ codes (e.g. Alt+0128).
- Added more ASCII symbols in the bottom bar.
- Bottom bar ASCII symbols are inserted properly.
Redesigned the options dialog.
- All pages are scrollable. That makes it possible to add more options to each page and also to have less pages.
- The main option window is resizable.
- Themes are now handled much differently (more on this below).
- All highlighter settings, not affected by themes, have been moved and can now be set globally, or with each selected highlighter.
- Check boxes and radio buttons are bigger, which makes them easier to use on high resolution screens.
Themes (editor color themes)
Themes are now presented in a simple drop down list. You simply select the theme you want for each highlighter.
Add new theme
To add a new theme you only have to copy the .xml file to the color theme folder. When you open the options dialog, the new theme is available in the drop down list.
Create a new theme
- Next to the theme drop down list is an action button. Click on it and select "Create new theme...".
- A dialog window asks for the theme name, author name and a description.
- The manual color and text controls becomes active and two new buttons are displayed - "Done" and "Abort". Change the colors you want and press "Done" when finished.
You can always modify your color settings by selecting "Modify theme" in the action menu.
You can modify any theme you want. Themes are stored in the program settings so the theme files in the color theme folder are not changed in any way.
- Select "Modify theme" in the action menu.
- The two buttons "Done" and "Abort" are visible again and color and text controls are activated.
- Make your changes and press "Done".
Your theme has now been modified.
With this menu action you can rename the theme, change the author or description.
Save the theme to a file.
Removes the theme from settings. If a theme file is present in the color theme folder - it is reloaded. So, when you remove a theme you are given the option to delete the color theme file (if one is found).
Edit selection or current line in a simple RTL edit window. This can be useful if you have some text inside HTML or XML tags in Arabic, Hebrew...
Made some cosmetic changes in the synchronize window.
Auto update check
Added items in options. I've also made some other changes to prevent problems if the check fails.
Recent files (dropdown button in toolbar)
Redesigned the recent files drop down menu.
- It is now scrollable and can contain any number of files.
- Each item have two rows. The file name and the full path below.
- Each item can be selected using a checkbox at the right edge. This enables you to open several files at once or delete several entries.
At the bottom there are three buttons. "Clear list", "Open" and "Delete".
You can open a file, as you always have, by simply select (click on) a file. You can also open several files at once by checking the files you wish to open. You can do this by checking the checkbox using the mouse or press [space].
You can also delete entries by checking them and press the delete button.
Favorite files (dropdown button in toolbar)
This menu works very much as the one above. It is now scrollable, each item have two rows, each item can be selected using a checkbox and at the bottom there are three buttons. "Add current document", "Open" and "Delete".
Add current document will, of course, add the current document to the favorite list.
Open and delete works just as with recent files.
Sessions (dropdown menu in toolbar)
This drop down menu works very much as the onces above, but displayed is the session name and a description. And there is no "Open" button, since you can only open one session at a time.
Remote files (FTP and SFTP)
The recent file list, favorite files and sessions should now fully support remote files.
It is now possible to select several files and folders at once, to open
or delete. If a remote file is already opened - the editor switch to the
Some navigation keys are also supported.
- [Enter] will open file(s) or open a folder.
- [Del] will delete selected files and folders.
- [Back] will list a dir one level up.
Remote files can be opened from the command line. The syntax is TextEd.exe [FTP profile name]|\dir\dir\file
E.g. TextEd.exe www.rj-texted.se|\info\version.html /HEX argument will open the file in the hex editor. /BIN argument will open the file in binary mode.
- Save word wrap state option was added.
- [Prompt] can be added as a tool argument to ask for a value.
- Update check was added as an option.
- Sort order in the find/replace drop down lists.
- Issue with click area of code folding node buttons.
- Menu bar remained focused after mouse click in the editor.
- User defined syntax display issue in options.
- Several issues with options.
- Paste when contents forces a word wrap for very long lines.
- Undo issues when pasting very long lines.
- Several edit issues with very long lines.
- Select tag issue when containing ASP/PHP tags.
- Several auto update issues.
- Close files issue (Alt+F4).
- Favorites in explorer tab not working.
- Several text cursor movement and line display issues.
- A few issues when skins (themes) are used.
- Find issues in options window.
- Unix linefeed issue when switching to hex view.
- Disabled some auto completion features when recording a macro.
- A select tag issue.
- Selecting string from the "Find" drop down list.
- Window minimize/restore issues.
- Several issues with options.
- Problem with large csv files.
- Several translation issues.
- Error messages that could pop up when saving a file, changing options...
- Session menu was not updated properly when removing sessions.
- Spit window issues when using wordwrap.
- Manually changing highlighter should work now for all web source files (HTML,PHP,ASP...).
Removed the exception catcher software. It doesn't seem to be stable enough to be included in a final release. I'll still use it in beta versions.
Check for updates at startup
The program will check for updates at startup and display a window if one is found. The window show information about which new versions are available (major release and beta versions) and also recent changes to the new version.
You are given the option to install the update (or download in the portable version). If you select "Install" - the update is downloaded, the program is closed and the new update is installed.
Redesigned the highlighter option pages in the options dialog window. It should make it easier to see which settings are individual to the highlighter and which are global. I also made it possible to use the default background color for most highlighting elements using a checkbox.
Favorite files (documents)
Added a drop down tool bar button for favorite files. It looks very much like the recently opened file drop down list, but in this one you get to add the files you want yourself. Just select the "Add current document" menu item to add to the list. You can delete an item with the [DELETE] key.
Added a drop down toolbar button for sessions. It looks very much like the recently opened file drop down list but contain whole sessions. A session can contain an open project, files or just open files. The toolbar button is not visible by default. Activate it in "Environment - Customize toolbars...".
User defined language and syntax files
User defined language and syntax files should be placed in the "...\Languages\User defined\" or "...\Syntax\User defined\" folders. User defined files will show up in the addons window and are used as any standard language or syntax files. If a user defined file has the same name as a standard file, the user defined file will always be used. Both the standard and user defined files are displayed in the addons window, but the standard one is grayed out.
- Added option to clear non-valid files from the "recently opened file" list (MRU).
- Added option to change the date format with the menu item "Insert Date (F5)". You can now use short or long date format.
- Added option to enable/disable the Vista style menu bar.
Added a tool item option to capture a command output to a new document. Also redesigned the tool item window. It is also possible to select and copy or delete lines in the message output window in the bottom-bar.
Find/Replace: Copy find string to replace field
When you type text in the find field and hit [TAB] the find text is copied (selected) to the replace field.
HTML help dialog windows
Redesigned the HTML dialog windows and included them in the main executable. They are not placed in an external .bpl file anymore.
The tree's are now included in the main program and not placed in an external .bpl file anymore. This should fix some issues some users are having.
- Last saved highlighter color theme information is now remembered between sessions.
- Made some changes to the (S)FTP synchronize function.
- Made the options window wider.
- Changed the internal exception catcher software.
- Last used wordwrap mode is remembered for each file.
- PHP syntax files have been updated by Carbonize.
- Auto completion and Ctrl+Space list are cached to improve speed.
- Some select tag block issues.
- Error with auto update check if server is unreachable.
- Drop and drag text in wordwrap mode.
- Several issues with highlighting of braces in code.
- Move lines up/down in wordwrap mode.
- Switch highlighter issues.
- Issue with renaming a folder in the text clip tree.
- Unclickable row in the result window for find/replace all.
- Selection issue when using bold or italic font styles.
- Display issue with bold or italic font styles.
- Issues with very long lines.
- Wordwrap issues with long lines.
- Remove duplicates in advanced sort.
- A document tab color issue.
- Replace all issues with open files.
- Undo issue with replace all and open files.
- Enclose tool item command with quotes should work now.
- Vertical scroll bar issues with paste.
- Some syntax highlighting issues.
- Unindent with non-breaking space characters.
- Made some changes when a bad regex expression is used for searching.
- Fixed several issues when using split windows.
New binary file
Added a menu item in the "New" drop down list for binary files. This opens a new text document in binary mode.
Find all in project files and folders
Find will now search inside open project or folder files instead of the file saved on disk.
Replace all in project files and folders
Replace will now replace inside open project or folder files instead of the file saved to disk.
- Tab key issue in open dialog windows.
- A minor text memo focus issue.
- Issue with switching between hex and text views.
- An issue when using compare tools like WinMerge.
You can now use
Out of resources error
Made some code changes to use less resources.
Close all documents
Documents should close slightly faster and with less flicker.
Save bookmarks and cursor position
Fixed an issue when saving bookmark and cursor position state. The settings could become reseted.
Switch themes (skins)
When switching theme a harmless error message was sometimes displayed. Made some changes to prevent the error to occur.
Fixed a find all issue when searching folders and sub folders.
Fixed some replace preview issues when searching folders and selecting only a few files to replace in.
- Fixed an issue with open highlighter color theme.
- Tag highlighting could not be disabled.
- Crash when switching to hex view.
- Hexadecimal number highlighting issue fixed.
- Fixed a document list issues in the sidebar.
- Play macro until end of file with "Find next" issue fixed.
- Display issue with the right margin line in documents containing several different code languages.
Handle binary files in the text editor
Binary files are wrapped around lines at a right margin of 80 characters. Bytes are displayed using your local ANSI code page and byte values less than 32 are displayed using symbols. You can safely edit and save the file, but with some text functions disabled, e.g. line functions (a binary file doesn't have lines), encoding and file type actions, column mode, some save actions like trim lines or convert tabs to spaces etc. You can also open a text file in binary mode. It is then treated as binary code and not as text.
System tray menu
Added a system tray menu with two items - restore and exit. I also fixed a few issues regarding close to system tray and reopen with the option to reload previously opened files.
Home/End key option in wordwrap mode
Added an option to control the behavior of the HOME and END keys in wordwrap mode. The default is to move the text cursor to the beginning or end of the current row. But you can change the option to move the text cursor to the beginning or end of line (hard returned line ended with a newline character).
Options: highlighters, margins, font and tab settings
- Re-designed the option dialog to better handle settings individual for each highlighter.
- All files now have a default set of colors in a highlighter item called (Default Colors). If no individual settings are made, the default setting are used.
- You can reset an individual color setting to the default by pressing the "Default" button, or you can reset all settings to default.
- Color and font styles can be saved in a color theme file in XML format.
- You can open color theme files and set color and font styles for a highlighter (or the default colors item).
- Several elements can now be individually highlighted, like line comments, block comments, hexadecimal numbers, numbers, characters and strings...
- Braces can now have both a background and a foreground color. You can also set the font style.
- All options regarding highlighters are now in the same place.
Font options for sidebar, dialog windows...
You can now set the dialog and window font and font size in options.
Bookmark list (Shift+F2)
This makes it very easy to navigate bookmarks. All bookmarks are listed in a popup window when Shift+F2 is pressed. The bookmarked line and line number are displayed in the list.
TODO/NOTE list (Shift+F4)
This makes it easier to navigate todo's and notes. They are listed in a popup window when Shift+F4 is pressed. The entire line and line number are displayed in the list.
Allow vertical scroll one page beyond last line. This is actually the default behavior, but if turned off, you can only scroll two lines past the last line.
Synchronized project folders
You can now add a special synchronized folder to a project. The physical folder is rescanned when the project is opened. If files are added to the folder - the files are added to the project sync folder, and if removed - the files are removed from the project sync folder. You can only add a synchronized folder from project options.
Document tab color option
Added an option to the advanced tab color dialog to disable active tab color with colored tabs based on file type.
Insert ascending numbers in column mode
Added an option to add leading zero's with right aligned numbers, instead of spaces.
Shift+Ctrl+Home/End in column mode
Changed the behavior when you extend an already existing selection. The shortcuts will only extend the selection up or down to the first or last line.
Double mouse click on spaces
Non-breaking spaces (#160) are now included in the selection.
Remove trailing spaces
Non-breaking spaces (#160) are now removed as well.
Switch between hex and text view
The current text cursor position is now remembered when you switch view.
TODO and NOTE
Made some code improvements to find project wide todo's and notes in HTML/CSS/PHP project files.
Replaced browse for folder dialogs
Replaced the dialog throughout the program. The new dialog include a create folder button.
Warn if document contain zero width Unicode space characters.
Last page in the options dialog is remembered throughout the session.
Removed most .bpl files
Most .bpl files have been removed from the program folder. The program doesn't have to open as many external files at startup, which means it opens faster.
- File information (bookmarks,cursor positions...) are now stored in an XML file. The information is handled better now internally.
- Several code folding issues in HTML.
- Status bar display issues.
- Zen dialog expression dropdown list issue.
- Recent file list was sometimes very slow.
- Keyboard shortcut issues in find/replace bar text fields.
- Several find all and count issues.
- Some speed issues when typing HTML/XML tags in large files.
- [FilePath] issue in tool items dialog.
- Some close to system tray issues.
- Display issues when reopen last used files.
- Rename file should now handle files without file extension.
- Some main tab issues when removing file commander or browser preview tabs.
- Close program hangup.
- Issue when using spell check dialog.
- Menu issue when selecting using keyboard.
- Word wrap issues with indention. If the window was resized narrower than the indention - the program could end up in an endless loop.
- Tag auto completion issues. E.g. typing <di| and press Ctrl+Space should display a correct auto completion list now.
- An issue with the debug output file.
Text clip folder list
You can assign a keyboard shortcut to a node/folder in the text clip tree. When triggered, a list of all items in the folder is displayed and you can chose anyone as in a normal auto completion window.
E.g. you could create HTML, Java Script, CSS and PHP folders in the text clip tree. Add code snippets and assign shortcuts to each folder. Now you have all code snippets available in a list by just pressing a keyboard shortcut.
Find field in options
Added a find field in the options window. A list will open as soon as you start typing. Each listed item have a small left aligned icon which indicates if it's a button, label, group box, radio button or a check box. When selecting item the correct page is opened and the item is focused (labels and group boxes can not be focused).
Find menu command (or the HUD)
Added an option to search for whole words only. Which is the default behavior in v8.20. If you uncheck the option, all strings found will be highlighted.
Context hints for "Find/Replace All" results
Added context hints for find/replace output list items. The same options is used to display the context hint in find/replace and replace preview output windows.
Right text margin
You can now set individual margin line settings for different file types. Available options are line type (solid,dotted), line color and position.
Select tag block (Shift+Alt+X)
This function will select the start tag, stop tag and everything in between. Just place the text cursor somewhere inside and trigger this function to select. A menu item is added in the "Edit -> Select" menu.
HTML image and base64 encoding
In the user menu (Ctrl+Space) there is a new item "ģimage" that will open the HTML image dialog window to insert a "<img ..." tag. The dialog can be used to insert a base64 encoded image.
Open location in Windows Explorer
Added a new menu item to the Document tab menu, project context menu to open the current or selected file location in the Windows Explorer. The file is selected. The existing button in the file commander and explorer tabs to open in Windows Explorer behave the same and will open the explorer with a file selected, if any.
Shift+Tab will now try to unindent at the current text cursor position. Otherwise it does nothing. The behavior should be the same as in Visual Studio.
Drag n drop in document list
Added drag n drop support in the sidebar document list. It only work if the list is unsorted.
If the program should hang at startup, shutdown or at some other action, you can now activate a debug output option. You can have debug data written to a log file or to a debug viewer application like "DebugView". In the program folder there is a file called "DebugOptions.txt". It looks like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------- ; DebugOutput ; 0 = No output ; 1 = Output to log file <AppData>\RJ TextEd\Data\DebugOutput.txt ; 2 = DebugOutputString. Use e.g. DebugView to display the output DebugOutput=0 ; LogFileAppend ; 0 = No append. Allways create a new log file at startup. ; 1 = Append. Append new debug data to old ones. NOTE! The file may ; become very large! LogFileAppend=0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Highlighter issue when opening a file.
- Double click on an item in the Syntax Editor should open an edit window.
- Tag highlighting issue when the option "Allow text cursor beyond end of line" was set.
- Fixed minor issues in the sidebar document list.
- Indent/Unindent issues.
- Reopened last used files should not be added to the most recently used (MRU) list.
- Error when deleting files in the project tree.
- Several other minor issues.
A warning message is displayed when a "Replace All" action is executed in a folder or project files. You can disable the warning by a click in the check box.
Play macro N times
Created a new dialog window with some information about cursor position, selection and total number of lines. You can now play the macro N number of times or play the macro until end of file (you can enter a max value here).
Double click and select words
To select words you can now double click the left mouse button and at the second click keep it pressed. Now you can start selecting words by moving the mouse.
Select brace enclosed (Shift+Alt+B)
Place the text cursor between braces, inside a single or double quoted string or between HTML/XML tags to select everything inside, with this function.
Stop a running script
A script can be stopped with the keyboard shortcut Shift+Esc or by pressing the stop button on the "User Script" tab in the quickbar.
Run script from "User Script" tab in Quickbar
Focus is always set to the target document.
Added the option "Find from cursor position".
Vertical scrolling in document
The text is now scrollable one page beyond the end of file.
Insert increasing numbers in column mode
Can now handle Roman and alphabetic numerals. Both upper- and lower case.
HTML to Text
Made some improvements in the conversion from HTML to plain text.
Document tab hint
Added additional information in the document tab hint. It now display the path, status, characters, lines, file size and last modified date and time.
Added a new function to the "Document" object called GetSelection.
Should now work with selected lines as well.
- Column mode text cursor and selection issues.
- Issue with Ctrl+Up
- Firefox and IE preview scroll issue with mouse wheel.
- Move line up/down issues and issues with undo/redo.
- Delete line in word wrap mode.
- Mouse scroll wheel issue in the sidebar.
- Document tab file name should now be able to handle & in the name.
- Out of memory errors should be handled properly when opening very large files.
Toggle INS/OVR and ROW/COL
Made it possible to change the Insert/Overwrite and Row/Column modes by a single mouse click on the statusbar.
- Text background draw issue
- Chrome browser preview issue with mappings
- May have fixed a hint issue when using multiple monitors
The right margin line is now drawn behind the text.
Changed the behavior so multiple blank lines are compressed into one line.
Delete redundant lines
Added a menu item to delete redundant lines (multiple lines are replaced by one line).
Panning or mouse coasting
You can now scroll by a single middle mouse click and moving the mouse.
Updated the component and libraries.
Updated the XULRunner libraries.
File and folder information is displayed under each view in the file commander.
Open/Close nodes in project manager
Open/Close nodes only affect the subitems in the selected node.
Sessions and session manager
You can now open and save sessions. A session will store information about open files, which view they were open in (dual document view), open project and the dual document view state.
The script editor has been removed. Scripts are now opened in the main program and user script functions are located in a quickbar tab, called "User Scripts".
If the script need a target document - you should open it in the right view using dual document view. The script itself should be in the left view.
FTP and FTP profiles
- Added a "Copy" button in the profile manager.
- When connecting to a remote site, the user name is displayed along with the password if prompted. This enables you to edit the user name.
Added menu item in the document tab menu to clear the undo/redo buffer.
Made some changes in the undo/redo history dialog. Recent non-saved items are displayed in yellow, saved in green.
Sidebar tab options
Added options in the "View -> Bars -> Sidebar" menu to enable text captions in tabs and to position the tabs.
- Spellcheck "Add" now work with Unicode.
- Current macro was not updated properly if edited.
- .com files are opened as text files by default.
- Advanced sort didn't work properly with tab characters.
- Replace prompt is not re-positioned anymore.
- Rename file didn't update the current highlighter.
- Parenthesis highlight issue in PHP.
- Regular expression help didn't work properly in the find/replace bar.
- Text clip issue with % in the clip text.
- Find All didn't display anything if highlight was selected when searching in folders.
- "Format XML (Tidy)" was misspelled.
- Fixed a Firefox preview issue when using mappings.
- Fixed some undo/redo issues in column mode.
Fixed a serious bug in the Firefox preview that could crash the program. Also updated XULRunner to v10.0.2.
Text files containing zero's
Text files containing zero's are now be opened as text files. Not as binary files.
- FTP synchronize issue. Remote files where not deleted properly.
- Very long text lines were not properly displayed.
- Incremental find bar did not show in the bottom view when horizontal split was activated.
- Macro issues with find/replace all.
- Undo issue when the editor window did not have focus.
Find menu command... (Ctrl+H)
Open a list with search able menu commands. Items are listed as soon as you start typing a word. Some additional information is displayed for the selected item like full menu path, icon or check state. The displayed check box and radio buttons are clickable.
You can also list the most recent commands by pressing the "recent list" button or "F2". Press the customize keyboard button (or F3) to open the customize keyboard window with the current action selected.
Highlighting of braces
Changed the way braces are highlighted.
Insert text on each line...
"More line operations > Insert text on each line..." can be used to insert text on each selected line. Text can be inserted at the beginning or end of the lines. Incremental numbers can be inserted at the beginning of each line and may include text, e.g. "Pos 1: " or "Line 1. ". The number is incremented and the result may look like below:
Line 1. Some text... Line 2. and some more text... Line 3.
There are several options in the dialog window to trim text or skip blank lines.
Made several changes in the find/replace bar.
Text clip macros
Added a few new macros and made some additions:
@f will get the current file name and path of the current document. @i can now have a default input value. @l will prompt the user using a list. E.g. %% %file%=@f %town%=@i[London] Your home town %country%=@l[Denmark|Germany|UK|Sweden] You home country %%
When the program is installed a registry key is added to allow the editor to use the latest IE version mode for previewing. The default is IE7, but if Internet Explorer 9 is installed, it is set to IE9. The registry key is set per application and doesn't effect any other programs.
It can also be set from options "Browser preview" section.
Updated the component and XULRunner files to version 10.
[EditorDrive] and [EditorDir] can now be used in all tool paths (Tools, External browser paths, Compare tools). This can be useful if you run the portable version from different systems.
Added a counter to display the number of items currently selected. Also fixed some issues.
Not found indication
Added a visual indication when an item is not found using incremental find or the find/replace bar.
Home key option
Added an option to allow the home key to move to the first nonwhite space position when first pressed.
- Some minor changes in dialogs to give some text more space (some text field where to narrow when using some languages).
- Undo unindent issue.
- Display of some ASCII characters.
- Show file that confirmation form asks to save on close.
- I may have made some other minor changes...